You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Holy-War. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Mulvers

Unregistered

Wednesday, February 18th 2009, 2:18am

I would love to make an officially-licensed game where Leia meets Carrie Fisher....

Dude! Get out of my fantasies!!!

Wednesday, February 18th 2009, 7:43am

I would love to make an officially-licensed game where Leia meets Carrie Fisher....
Dude! Get out of my fantasies!!!
OK, I'll stick to my fantasy where Princess Leia meets the Mystery Woman from Blues Brothers.:)
Top accounts for sale: HW1 TG1 AI1
Already sold: HW2/3/4 TG1DE

Mulvers

Unregistered

Wednesday, February 18th 2009, 2:14pm

fine ¬_¬

I'll switch to a Carrie Fisher vs Lori Cardille fantasy 8o

Sunday, March 8th 2009, 3:48pm

Stargate

Stargate

Stargate SG-1

Stargate Atlantis

Red Dwarf

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Sunday, May 17th 2009, 4:37am

New Star Trek Movie

I saw the movie today- I thought it was above average but not great. What is your opinion?

The Black Knight

Unregistered

Sunday, May 17th 2009, 6:47am

RE: New Star Trek Movie

I saw the movie today- I thought it was above average but not great. What is your opinion?

I definitely liked this one more than most of the other Star Trek movies, as the "uber-Trekkie-nerd" factor was quite a bit less than in previous Star Trek movies (that I waited to see in cable), but it didn't quite live up to the previews.

Definitely liked the characters better (especially Spock), but then I would imagine it probably angered a lot of fans.

LOTS of plot holes that didn't make a lot of sense, and of course, it was very predictable.

Mostly mindless fluff (which is usually my favorite kind of movie), but fun.

The Black Knight

Unregistered

Saturday, May 23rd 2009, 5:10am

Terminator Salvation.

Some silliness (pretty much everything surrounding Michael Ironside; I don't want to spoil it, but you'll figure it out), but otherwise this was a really cool movie. Lots of action, lots of fun.

Between the two previews, I thought Star Trek was going to be the uber-cool blockbuster of the summer and T:S was going to be "somewhat okay." I was definitely wrong about that. Not that Star Trek was "somewhat okay" (I liked it better than that, and am glad I saw it in the theater), but T:S was definitely of the "Wow" variety, and the first movie in quite a while that I want to see again. I'd put this up at the level of T2, and will be looking forward to the sequel.

Saturday, May 23rd 2009, 7:23am

RE: RE: New Star Trek Movie

I definitely liked this one more than most of the other Star Trek movies, as the "uber-Trekkie-nerd" factor was quite a bit less than in previous Star Trek movies (that I waited to see in cable), but it didn't quite live up to the previews.

Definitely liked the characters better (especially Spock), but then I would imagine it probably angered a lot of fans.

LOTS of plot holes that didn't make a lot of sense, and of course, it was very predictable.

Mostly mindless fluff (which is usually my favorite kind of movie), but fun.
I pretty much agree with both of you.

I loved the characters, especially Spock and Scotty (and having a Scotty who can do comic relief bits without being embarrassing is a nice change), even though I'm a pretty big fan of the originals. But I'm reserving judgment on Chekov until we see whether the new guy can scream like Walter Koenig. Also, how was Zoë Saldana hotter than in any of the roles she played in her 20s?

I also loved the callbacks to the original series and movies, from Kirk with a green-skinned alien chick to the dead redshirt to the Khan-type bad guy getting to do a Shatneresque "Spooooooock!" And actually seeing the Kobayashi Maru test was nice.

I was disappointed to not see any Yoyodyne references, and annoyed that 47 finally beat 23 and 42 into submission as the only magic number in the ST universe.*

The fact that technology now actually progresses in the Star Trek universe was nice--a cheap mining ship from a century in the future can take on a state-of-the-art war fleet from the present. And I'm glad they dumped the treknobabble (that stuff always worked better on Doctor Who, where it was _supposed_ to sound silly). But I'd always hoped that if they didn't try to explain their futuristic science it would be more believable, and "red matter" completely proved me wrong. That was just stupid.

The pacing was good, but there were some scenes that tried to hard to be a post-MTV-era over-caffeinated action movie, and someone really has to take the controls to the lens flare effect away before he's allowed to direct another big-budget CGI movie.

Still, it may be tough to follow. Whether you call this #1 or #11, everyone knows the even numbers have to be better. :)

* That should establish my credentials as a Star Trek geek, for those who didn't believe me after criticizing James Doohan's physical comedy skills.

CoCooMa

Professional

Saturday, May 23rd 2009, 11:08am

top movies has to be Dogma and The boondock saints, tv is probably red dwarf

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Saturday, May 23rd 2009, 9:04pm

from Kirk with a green-skinned alien chick

didn't Cpt Pike get the green skinned girl in the first series 2 parter?

Saturday, May 23rd 2009, 11:17pm

from Kirk with a green-skinned alien chick

didn't Cpt Pike get the green skinned girl in the first series 2 parter?
Pike turned down the green-skinned dancing girl that they offered him.

But Kirk was seduced by Batgirl painted green. See this link before Geocities goes away: .

Thursday, May 28th 2009, 6:13am

Terminator Salvation.

Some silliness (pretty much everything surrounding Michael Ironside; I don't want to spoil it, but you'll figure it out), but otherwise this was a really cool movie. Lots of action, lots of fun.
OK, I saw it. It was much, much better than T3... but it really wasn't that great, not on a level with T1 and T2.

Good: Well-shot and well-paced action scenes. Great special effects. Some clever callbacks to the earlier movies (including a reversal of the famous semi-vs.-motorcycle chase, and a little 30-second parody of the ridiculous 30-minute chase in T3). Mostly good acting. Helena Bonham Carter still looks great, no matter how old she gets, even when she's a disembodied floating digitized head. The first half of the supervillain's evil plan was nifty.

Bad: Some annoyingly blatant callbacks to the earlier movies (including "I'll be back," and a cameo by Arnie). Christian Bale kept slipping into his Batman voice for no reason. Not enough H-Ks and giant robots. The big secret twist was way too blatantly obvious (hey, what if a blade runner was actually a replicant and didn't know it? That'd be a clever new idea!), and it led straight into the even more obvious second half of the supervillain's evil plan.

Also, one thing really bothers me about the Terminator series. Normally I don't nitpick time-travel paradoxes, but when you build your entire franchise around them, it's kind of hard not to notice. So: Why do they need to save Connor, and in this movie Kyle Reese? If they just shot Kyle through the head, he'd never go back in time, the T2000 wouldn't go back to chase him, and the technology for Skynet wouldn't exist.

Sure, it would probably mean they'd be stuck with a world with Clinton and W and 9/11 and Gitmo and Iraq and all the other nonsense that never happened in their timeline, but I think the real timeline adds up to slightly better than being nuked and then hunted down by killer robots.

Anyway, nobody will ever do time travel paradoxes as well as Futurama, from all the stuff around Fry's freezing to his trip back to Roswell to become his own grandfather.

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Friday, May 29th 2009, 4:53pm

I just saw Terminator Salvation. Loved it! Very approariate that skynet would be centered around San Francisco.

The Black Knight

Unregistered

Friday, May 29th 2009, 5:05pm

I just saw Terminator Salvation. Loved it! Very approariate that skynet would be centered around San Francisco.

I knew it!

We have to stop Falco from building Skynet!

Friday, May 29th 2009, 6:35pm

I knew it!

So, I just met this crazy guy on the bus named... Kevin or Kirk or one of those K names. He wouldn't say where he's from, but he said there's some super-robot thing coming after him, and I was thinking--wow, I can't wait to see how it's made; I'll bet I'll get all kinds of cool technical ideas from it!

The Black Knight

Unregistered

Friday, May 29th 2009, 7:13pm

I knew it!

So, I just met this crazy guy on the bus named... Kevin or Kirk or one of those K names. He wouldn't say where he's from, but he said there's some super-robot thing coming after him, and I was thinking--wow, I can't wait to see how it's made; I'll bet I'll get all kinds of cool technical ideas from it!

See... it's people like you who are going to bring about the end of the world because you gotta understand the alien/evil scientist/giant killer cyborgs/artificial intelligence.

Just kill the thing, and be done with it - we can study it after it's dead. And none of this shooting it three or four times and assuming it's dead. More like, shoot it 30-40 times, douse it in gasoline and immolate it, cut its head off, separate it into five different pieces, then study the pieces. But make sure the main protagonist is standing there in the laboratory, watching, preferably with an AK-47 aimed directly at it, in case it decides to move again.

Which reminds me of my favorite "Bond" villain of all time; Hank Scorpio. No messing around; just have your guards riddle him with submachinegun bullets when he's on the ground!

Saturday, May 30th 2009, 2:40am

Just kill the thing, and be done with it - we can study it after it's dead. And none of this shooting it three or four times and assuming it's dead. More like, shoot it 30-40 times, douse it in gasoline and immolate it, cut its head off, separate it into five different pieces, then study the pieces.
Isn't that pretty much what happened in the Terminator movies? The Terminator was pretty much completely destroyed, then melted down in a forge. But someone found an inert chunk of its arm, or something like that, and was able to study it safely (except for the good guys doing a home invasion and almost killing him).
But make sure the main protagonist is standing there in the laboratory, watching, preferably with an AK-47 aimed directly at it, in case it decides to move again.
Seriously, you think a weapon that has even the slightest chance of jamming is a good idea in that situation? Can't you imagine the scene with the protagonist slapping the side of his gun trying to unjam it, while the monster lumbers toward you? I'd give him a more reliable weapon. And three backup weapons. And another two people that he doesn't know about, in case he's secretly a sleeper for the bad guys who's going to be activated at the most dramatic possible time.

The Black Knight

Unregistered

Saturday, May 30th 2009, 6:32am

Just kill the thing, and be done with it - we can study it after it's dead. And none of this shooting it three or four times and assuming it's dead. More like, shoot it 30-40 times, douse it in gasoline and immolate it, cut its head off, separate it into five different pieces, then study the pieces.
Isn't that pretty much what happened in the Terminator movies? The Terminator was pretty much completely destroyed, then melted down in a forge. But someone found an inert chunk of its arm, or something like that, and was able to study it safely (except for the good guys doing a home invasion and almost killing him).

Not exactly. More like shot, blown up, set on fire, blown up again, then crushed in a press. That's the first movie. The second movie had him shot, smacked with a prybar (or whatever that thing was), shot again, then blown up and dropped into a forge and melted down. The forge thing was definitely the be all-end all of "how to permanently kill a Terminator and make sure Skynet never gets built and that the Terminator never comes back. Right?

Shoot... what stops Hollywood producers from making sequels?

But make sure the main protagonist is standing there in the laboratory, watching, preferably with an AK-47 aimed directly at it, in case it decides to move again.
Seriously, you think a weapon that has even the slightest chance of jamming is a good idea in that situation? Can't you imagine the scene with the protagonist slapping the side of his gun trying to unjam it, while the monster lumbers toward you? I'd give him a more reliable weapon. And three backup weapons. And another two people that he doesn't know about, in case he's secretly a sleeper for the bad guys who's going to be activated at the most dramatic possible time.

More reliable? I can't imagine too many better options. From what my Special Forces buddies in the army told me, the AK series of rifles are some of the most reliable weapons out there. Get them wet, drop them in mud, sand, dirt, etc., and they'll still fire. Of course, the M-60 machine gun was like that, too. Just pour enough oil on it, and it would pretty much fire forever.

Of course, it wouldn't be quite enough firepower, so maybe a phased plasma rifle in a 40w range. Or maybe 20-30 of those. And a nuke or two.

Mulvers

Unregistered

Saturday, May 30th 2009, 3:05pm

the AK series of rifles are some of the most reliable weapons out there. Get them wet, drop them in mud, sand, dirt, etc., and they'll still fire.

Yup. I've filled these things with sand and ditchwater just to demonstrate the point .... Tho I'd recommend the -74 series as with the -47s its difficult to hit a barn door from more than 10 metres away ... And theyre all cheap.

Of course, the M-60 machine gun was like that, too.

Sure. If you have shedloads of oil .... and high quality ammunition .... or have the time to take it apart and maintain it at least once every 3 days .... If you're not using it a lot.

We don't even bother stocking them. You gotta pay a lot of attention to them and they come with a rather hefty price tag.

I'd recommend the MG3 instead .... easy to run and with above average performance .... Its simplicity is exemplary....

The Black Knight

Unregistered

Saturday, May 30th 2009, 4:55pm

the AK series of rifles are some of the most reliable weapons out there. Get them wet, drop them in mud, sand, dirt, etc., and they'll still fire.

Yup. I've filled these things with sand and ditchwater just to demonstrate the point .... Tho I'd recommend the -74 series as with the -47s its difficult to hit a barn door from more than 10 metres away ... And theyre all cheap.

Of course, the M-60 machine gun was like that, too.

Sure. If you have shedloads of oil .... and high quality ammunition .... or have the time to take it apart and maintain it at least once every 3 days .... If you're not using it a lot.

We don't even bother stocking them. You gotta pay a lot of attention to them and they come with a rather hefty price tag.

I'd recommend the MG3 instead .... easy to run and with above average performance .... Its simplicity is exemplary....

Yeah, I probably should have added the qualifier "for an American-made weapon."

Trust the Germans to come up with the best instruments of death around :P

If we ever get invaded by aliens, I'm guessing that the Germans will be pretty well prepared to fend them off.

Sunday, May 31st 2009, 8:42pm

All the movies I have liked seemed to have been mentioned.

I do remember a Steve Martin movie I watched a long time ago that I remember liking a lot. I just cannot seem to remember the title of the movie.

I remember in one scene, Steve Martin was working at a gas station and some crazy sniper decided to shoot him, but instead of hitting Steve, he would hit the can products next to him and so Steve made this big deal about that guy really not liking that product (i think it was oil)

I remember laughing really hard from that scene. Anyone have a clue as to what the title is? I want to go rent it now.

The Black Knight

Unregistered

Sunday, May 31st 2009, 9:34pm

All the movies I have liked seemed to have been mentioned.

I do remember a Steve Martin movie I watched a long time ago that I remember liking a lot. I just cannot seem to remember the title of the movie.

I remember in one scene, Steve Martin was working at a gas station and some crazy sniper decided to shoot him, but instead of hitting Steve, he would hit the can products next to him and so Steve made this big deal about that guy really not liking that product (i think it was oil)

I remember laughing really hard from that scene. Anyone have a clue as to what the title is? I want to go rent it now.

The Jerk, perhaps?

Monday, June 1st 2009, 10:36pm

The Jerk, perhaps?

Thats it!

I enjoyed that one. Long past due in seeing that one again :)

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 8:01am

I saw this movie in the theater, at something like 9 years old. I didn't get half the jokes. And then, for the next 7 years or so, only rich people had cable, so I saw the edited-for-TV version a zillion times, with those jokes I now would have gotten cut out. When I finally saw it again, uncut, it was one of the funniest things I ever saw.

I recently saw the censored version again. It's funny how much censorship has changed in the past 3 decades. It was perfectly fine to leave the "n-word" in, especially since the people who used the word as an insult were the butt of the joke. But even vague allusions to oral smex were completely unacceptable, and entire scenes had to be removed just to make sure.

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 1:57pm

Overall I thought the Jerk was a silly movie. But I do remember the bathtub scene where he is reading the Dear John letter. Very funny

Monday, June 8th 2009, 1:39am

Has anyone seen the movie Up?

Now, there are a number of Disney and Pixar movies that like, but would not put them on my favorites list. But this one was really good. I saw it in 3D, which made it a bit more fun since 99% of the movies I see are not in 3D. What made it great for me is the story they put into the movie. It was odd to see such a sad story be put into a film geared to kids, but thats what made it so good for me. I mean, the sad parts really sucked, but it all turned out ok. :)

Louise

Intermediate

Monday, June 8th 2009, 10:46am

I saw Ladykillers last night. Very entertaining and definitely worth seeing :D
Want to contact an Admin or Mod? Click -> Here

Mulvers

Unregistered

Monday, June 8th 2009, 3:34pm

I saw Ladykillers last night.

Original or re-make? ... Original = :thumbsup: Re-make = :thumbdown:

Vedauwoo

Unregistered

Monday, June 8th 2009, 7:14pm

Movie within a movie

I can't think of all of them, but I see that scene from "The Jerk" often. Both on TV and in movies. For instance that scene was being played in "Blackhawk Down" early in the movie when one of the soldiers has an epileptic fit watching the sniper scene in the "The Jerk".

I think a lot of Hollywood agrees with you!

-Cobra-

Unregistered

Monday, June 8th 2009, 9:00pm

Jay and Silent Bob: Strike Back!

Dogma!!

Louise

Intermediate

Tuesday, June 9th 2009, 10:12am

Original or re-make? ... Original = :thumbsup: Re-make = :thumbdown:
I saw the re-make. I guess I gotta see the original then.
Want to contact an Admin or Mod? Click -> Here

Mulvers

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 9th 2009, 4:05pm

I guess I gotta see the original then.

Yes! Yes ye does! .... full of (Alec) Guinness-ey goodness :thumbsup:

Wednesday, June 10th 2009, 1:39am

instance that scene was being played in "Blackhawk Down"

Wow, I forgot about that! So many movies slip things in now its hard to keep track of them all.

Buba the Great

Professional

Wednesday, June 10th 2009, 1:55am

Favorate Movie

Mulvers

Unregistered

Thursday, June 11th 2009, 11:35pm

Just watched Nacho Libre ... not a classic by any stretch .... but hot damn I enjoyed it ... tis my new feelgood movie :D

Sunday, June 14th 2009, 5:08am

Gran Torino

Friday, June 26th 2009, 2:15am

Transformers II

I saw it in IMAX, which was a first for me. The five story screen was fun, but at some points it was a bit too big for me.

My favorite part in the movie was when Bumblebee was antagonizing the girl that was trying to get Sam to cheat on his girlfriend. Way to go Bumblebee! That was a very funny scene.

Mage Deadly

Beginner

Occupation: Enjoying Life! And the 10 by ten projaect in Australia to rejuce blood led levels in Port Pirie

Friday, June 26th 2009, 2:09pm

here goes

1. Pirates of the carribean 2

2. Star wars trilogy

3. Xmen trilogy

4. Benchwarmers

5. lucky last Transformers

:D :D :D :D
MDeadly. Call . If your just a prankcaller, GET ON WITH IT! :D

if anybody rings that number is a dork! :D

Underground

Intermediate

Friday, June 26th 2009, 9:35pm

I would have to say Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was the best movie I have seen in theaters in a long time.

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Friday, June 26th 2009, 11:43pm

Land of the Lost-----wait for Cable! it was ok, but most of the jokes I had already seen on trailers. The updated sleestaks seemed a little more menacing. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS