You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Holy-War. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Reishena

Unregistered

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 5:21am

#12 is Midway

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 5:22am

12. Midway, a Navy movie, but cryptography and signal interception wins the day.

Edit: Damn, Rei typed faster than me.
Top accounts for sale: HW1 TG1 AI1
Already sold: HW2/3/4 TG1DE

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 5:38am

#12 is Midway

Correct

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 5:39am

12. Midway, a Navy movie, but cryptography and signal interception wins the day.

Could also say Air Power is the deciding factor

Reishena

Unregistered

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 5:40am

I think #5 is Hell's Angels

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 5:46am

If #5 isn't Hell's Angels, it's Wings.

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 5:53am

If #5 isn't Hell's Angels, it's Wings.

wrong and wrong....I have never seen all of wings....it would be cool if they re edit it and put in sound effects

Reishena

Unregistered

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 5:55am

Lol. I'm giving up for tonight. At this point, I really, really must know, but am too tired to wait for the answers.
By the way, if you haven't ever seen the movie "The Tuskegee Airmen" with Lawrence Fishburne and Cuba Gooding JR. I highly recommend it. G'nite

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 6:00am

Could also say Air Power is the deciding factor
Sure you could if you weren't a geek, but when you're the kind of person who cracks Futurama's alien languages for fun, all of WWII was about sigint.:)

Anyway, I'm done for the night too. And Rei beat me to that, just like the last 2 answers (even if one of them was wrong).

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 6:20am

Is #2 The Blue Max?
w1EN: Almanzor (now leveling backwards)
w2EN: Sim Saalabim (retired)
w3EN: Demise (retired)
w4EN: Orlando Furioso (now leveling backwards)

~ Dangerous in my dreams. ~

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 6:26am

Last week's answer---not using any of the same movies over

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 8:04pm

War Movie Quiz #2 and probably last!War Movie Quiz #2

1. A song battle erupts in the middle of the movie....The sequel was a prequel. Name both movies. New Clue-British Cast for first movie

2. The antagonist has no use for a German mistress. Cameos galore in this movie. New Clue- it propels the modern Army---the climatic scenes involve this
3. Berlin song—Flying movie--Top Gun

4. Two movies same war same year- Neither win Felix’s buddy…Name the two movies. Fairly recent. New Clue- The old bard wins in the end for this year.

5. Friends becomes enemies when brother dies…B&W ---Flying movie WW1

6. Pretty boy actor becomes warrior in the modern retelling of ancient war.Troy

7. I am Spartacus

8. Peaceful Sunday morning destroyed with the rising of the sun. Tora Tora Tora

9. Tunnels and motorcycles-Cameos! The Great Escape

10. Blue eyes train Von Ryan's Express

11. Shells of paint=pretty pictures-Kelly's Heroes

12. Sensurround. Naval picture, but something else wins the day. Midway

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 8:23pm

#5 is undoubtedly The Dawn Patrol.

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 8:29pm

#5 is undoubtedly The Dawn Patrol.

Correct

Mulvers

Unregistered

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 8:45pm

Is the first one Zulu?

or am I just stupid?

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 8:48pm

Is the first one Zulu?

correct-two part answer to this question

Mulvers

Unregistered

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 8:50pm

Zulu and Zulu Dawn?

Rorke's Drift and Isandhlwana :P

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 8:51pm

Zulu and Zulu Dawn?

correct

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 8:58pm

#4 - The Thin Red Line and Saving Private Ryan?

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 9:01pm

#4 - The Thin Red Line and Saving Private Ryan?

Correct

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Monday, February 16th 2009, 9:13pm

New clue for #2----You can eat your Nuts in the middle of winter.

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 6:02pm

Another new Clue for #2----Telly again!

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 8:31pm

Another new Clue for #2----Telly again!
Well, GoBots: War of the Rock Lords starred Telly Savalas as the evil rock lord, and I assume rock lords aren't into German women or any kind of humans. There were plenty of cameos, both first-gen GoBots and actors like Kathleen Turner. But the GoBots' and Rock Lords' armies don't seem to run on anything.

Our modern armies run on diesel, which was a major plot point in Battle of the Bulge, which Telly Savalas was also in. And it was in mid-winter, but I don't get the Nuts reference. It has a bunch of cutaway scenes, which I guess count as cameos.

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 8:55pm

Battle of the Bulge

Correct! A few weeks break and maybe one more Quiz :-)

The Black Knight

Unregistered

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 9:15pm

Okay - here's a different one; try naming the nine characters that appeared in all of the first three Star Wars movies that were release in 1977, 1980, and 1983 (not the remakes).

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 9:31pm

Luke Skywalker
Princess Lea
Hans Solo
Chewbacka
Darth Vader
r2d2
C3PO

Guesses

Obi Wan
Wedge

Mulvers

Unregistered

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 9:48pm

Dammit phil! i think you got it .....

But name the actors hehehehe

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 10:09pm

Phil's got 9, but what about the anonymous stormtrooper played by assistant stunt coordinator Lightning Bear who was in all 3? (Yeah, Creature effects/makeup lead Rick Baker played bit parts in all three movies, but they were different parts; Lightning Bear played the same character in all three, and they even have a story about how he survived the first one.)

The actors are Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Peter... Mayburg? Mayhew? something like that, David Prowse/James Earl Jones, Kenny Baker, Anthony Daniels, Alec Guinness, and... I forget who played Wedge.

The Black Knight

Unregistered

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 10:22pm

Luke Skywalker
Princess Lea
Hans Solo
Chewbacka
Darth Vader
r2d2
C3PO

Guesses

Obi Wan
Wedge

Absolutely correct, thought it's Chewbacca, technically.

Phil's got 9, but what about the anonymous stormtrooper played by assistant stunt coordinator Lightning Bear who was in all 3? (Yeah, Creature effects/makeup lead Rick Baker played bit parts in all three movies, but they were different parts; Lightning Bear played the same character in all three, and they even have a story about how he survived the first one.)

The actors are Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Peter... Mayburg? Mayhew? something like that, David Prowse/James Earl Jones, Kenny Baker, Anthony Daniels, Alec Guinness, and... I forget who played Wedge.

Dang... pretty good (although I'm not 100% convinced you're not making up the part about Lightning Bear).

Peter Mayhew was Chewbacca.

Dennis Lawson (Ewan MacGregor's uncle) was Wedge Antilles.

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 10:26pm

Very sad----all of those answers were from my head with no internet reseach done. Now only if I could have some useful info upstairs :wacko:

The Black Knight

Unregistered

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 10:38pm

Very sad----all of those answers were from my head with no internet reseach done. Now only if I could have some useful info upstairs :wacko:

Well, anytime between about June 1977 and May 1983 I could have quoted both Star Wars: ANH and Empire Strikes Back to you, line for line, along with telling you who every single one of the actors were (basically anyone who got a credit).

Then Jedi came out and destroyed all of my gawky-eyed fan worship (I thought it was an abomination and an offense against all things Star Wars).

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 10:41pm

Luke Skywalker
Princess Lea
Hans Solo
Chewbacka
Darth Vader
r2d2
C3PO

Guesses

Obi Wan
Wedge

Absolutely correct, thought it's Chewbacca, technically.
It's also Leia.

And sure, Han's real name was Hans Holzel, but since he knew he'd never be more famous than the other Hans Holzel (Falco), he Anglicized it to Han Solo, not Hans Solo.

And R2-D2, C-3PO, and Obi-Wan have hyphens in their name, presumably because they had Beverly-Hills-liberal type parents. (At least that was the explanation for most of the kids I went to school with who had hyphens.)
Dang... pretty good (although I'm not 100% convinced you're not making up the part about Lightning Bear).
Well, I got it from Forry Ackerman, who knew everything about every Sci-Fi movie ever made, and was friends with both Rick Baker and Lightning Bear, and had Lightning's stormtrooper uniform from the first movie at the Ackermansion, so I'm pretty sure it's true.

The Black Knight

Unregistered

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 10:44pm

It's also Leia.

And R2-D2, C-3PO, and Obi-Wan have hyphens in their name, presumably because they had Beverly-Hills-liberal type parents. (At least that was the explanation for most of the kids I went to school with who had hyphens.)

Dang... I'm getting sloppy in my old age. Missed those.

And sure, Han's real name was Hans Holzel, but since he knew he'd never be more famous than the other Hans Holzel (Falco), he Anglicized it to Han Solo, not Hans Solo.

So here's two super easy follow ups, then:

- What was Harrison Ford doing before he became an actor?
- Who was originally asked to play the part of Hans Holzel (I mean Han Solo)?

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 10:46pm

a carpenter

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 10:52pm

So here's two super easy follow ups, then:

He was a college student before he became an actor. He might have been a stuntman briefly, too. But after failing as a TV actor, he became a carpenter, so he was doing that before he became an actor again, in American Graffiti. And this is why things are falling apart--our best carpenters have to go and become actors and sons of gods.
- Who was originally asked to play the part of Hans Holzel (I mean Han Solo)?
First they had an open casting call for unknowns, with Harrison Ford reading lines with the people being tested. He then suggested his buddy Billy Dee Williams, who came close to being cast. Then Christopher Walken almost got the job.

Christopher Walken was also considered before him for Indiana Jones, as was Tom Selleck.

The Black Knight

Unregistered

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 10:56pm

Christopher Walken was also considered before him for Indiana Jones

I didn't know that part (actually, I forgot Christopher Walken was considered for Han Solo, too).

Dang, that would have been weird. And a totally different movie, in my opinion.

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 11:01pm

Both of them would have been very different. Especially since many of both Han's and Indy's most famous scenes were adlibbed by Ford. "I know" instead of "I love you too," the elaboration on why you should let a wookie win at chess, shooting the guy instead of doing a long sword-vs.-bullwhip fight scene (they had to edit in the gunshot noise and edit out the laughter of everyone on the set), etc.

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 11:04pm

Which characters were in all three movies in the special editions but not the originals? I'm guessing Jabba and Boba Fett? Maybe one of the Mon Calamari? Did he stick the Emperor in the first one?

The Black Knight

Unregistered

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 11:21pm

Which characters were in all three movies in the special editions but not the originals? I'm guessing Jabba and Boba Fett? Maybe one of the Mon Calamari? Did he stick the Emperor in the first one?

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Boba Fett's the only one who shows up in all three of the special editions; there's a scene at the Mos Eisley spaceport where Han & Chewie meet Jabba and Co. (including Boba Fett) that was edited in later.

Jabba, however, does not appear in Empire Strikes Back.

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 11:55pm

OK. I don't know if I ever saw the special edition version of Empire. After seeing Greedo shoot first (apparently in the later special special edition they both shoot at the same time, and Han actually dodges instead of magically teleporting to the side?), I was done with the special editions and went and tracked down the original Empire to watch it again.

So, how many characters appear in all 6 movies plus the 1978 Holiday Special?

I think the answer is Vader, Obi-Wan, R2, and 3PO. Luke, Leia,* Han, Chewie, and Boba also appear in the Special, but not in the prequels (or at least not all of them). Wedge appears in neither the Special nor the prequels. Neither does Lightning Bear's anonymous stormtrooper, as far as I know, although I think Rick Baker did do guest shots in all of the prequels (standing next to Lucas in one of them).

I could be wrong about some of that.

* And possibly Carrie Fisher as herself, too. It's not clear whether that's Leia or Carrie singing the Star Wars theme song. This is important, since the Special is considered official canon. I would love to make an officially-licensed game where Leia meets Carrie Fisher....