You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Holy-War. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, April 5th 2013, 2:53am

To test or not to test

As this idea will likely pass, and will be no different then international worlds i do suggest one small thing:

TEST ON SERVER BEFORE MAKING LIVE!!!

Yes that had to be emphasized like that. When i was here before, GAS was notorious for putting updates and additionsout and having some colossal side effects, then blaming players for their screwup. From what i have read since coming back, these screwups still seem to come about with every update and patch. Things need to be fully tested on a beta server to make sure there are no bugs.

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Friday, April 5th 2013, 10:08am

Yes that had to be emphasized like that.
No, it really hadn't. No need to emphasize something that's routinely done, already.

Turns out bugs can happen, anyway, no matter how well something is testing, beforehand. In that, it's a nice metaphor for life itself.

Regards,

CApeX

itsjustme

Professional

Friday, April 5th 2013, 11:36am

HAhAHAHAHAHAAHA.....gasp HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

no real testing is done, you MAYBE test if it works, you don't test if it breaks anything other than the obvious logging in. (And I don't mean you personally so I'm not attacking you, just to be clear)

If there was any sort of testing done, i.e. regression testing, validation testing etc then things that have happened in the past wouldn't have happened.

You, and this time I do mean you personally, can spout the company line all you want, but the evidence speaks for itself. If testing is done, noone looks at the results, OR they log in and call testing done.

Thanks for your time to list to me deny your claims.
Have a nice day.
Just here to spread hate and discontent

OK, moving on now...

Friday, April 5th 2013, 12:02pm

I certainly do not mean to be disrespectful capt apex, but GAS has a penchant for not fully testing updates. I will just use one example of a colossal mishap, team arena.

When this was implemented, people went in unarmed, then scored thousands of experience, literally. People were levelling at a ridiculous rate, but GAS then decided to blame players instead of acknowledging their failure of fully testing an update. To be honest, i am unsure exactly what they do when testing updates, but seems that its not done by an actual playthrough but more of seeing if an error message pops up or something.

itsjustme

Professional

Friday, April 5th 2013, 1:09pm

I certainly do not mean to be disrespectful capt apex, but GAS has a penchant for not fully testing updates. I will just use one example of a colossal mishap, team arena.

When this was implemented, people went in unarmed, then scored thousands of experience, literally. People were levelling at a ridiculous rate, but GAS then decided to blame players instead of acknowledging their failure of fully testing an update. To be honest, i am unsure exactly what they do when testing updates, but seems that its not done by an actual playthrough but more of seeing if an error message pops up or something.

And that happened TWICE mind you :evil: X( 8|

OK, moving on now...

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Friday, April 5th 2013, 2:59pm

You, and this time I do mean you personally, can spout the company line all you want, but the evidence speaks for itself.
That's speculation, not evidence. You're mixing terms up here.

Testing is done before things go online, rest assured. You're free to disbelieve it and root for that weird conspiracy theories a few seem to enjoy spreading, which deals with evil empire structures and the company doing stuff because....yeah, what for, actually? Money? Frustrating players? Frustrating players so the company gets more money? Read it all. Does not make much sense to me. (Granted, the 'money' theory is actually true. The company really does stuff for money. "Not testing" isn't part of said stuff, though. That doesn't generate any money. "Testing" does.) Just keep in mind that actively sabotaging the trust between the game company and it's players by spreading rumors and speculative accusations for no real reason but venting some frustration is not just harming the company. It harms everyone, in the end. Including yourself.

Quoted

If there was any sort of testing done, i.e. regression testing, validation testing etc then things that have happened in the past wouldn't have happened.
You're assuming that every other gaming company in the industry is also not doing any sort of testing then, I guess.

Quoted

I certainly do not mean to be disrespectful capt apex, but GAS has a penchant for not fully testing updates.
I have no reason to assume you want to be disrespectful, Kinji, no worries. However, please let me point something out to you that is confusing me:

You have been gone for some time, as that is what I have been able to gather from the posts you have been doing in this forum over the last days. (Welcome back, by the way. :) ) Your example above is apparantly from that time period, a time when I haven't been working here. (Which is why I can't say anything about the situation you describe, either way.) And because of experiences with the company you had years (!) ago, you're assuming that it is now how it may have or may haven't been then and asks the company to change. Why don't you just wait and see what has changed and what hasn't, by yourself? "Testing" the structures you have returned to, before just assuming everything is how you remember it, so to say.

Regards,

CApeX

Friday, April 5th 2013, 4:35pm

I will of course :)

Also did you create a thread on this, ie split the posts? I never created a separate thread

itsjustme

Professional

Friday, April 5th 2013, 8:13pm

You, and this time I do mean you personally, can spout the company line all you want, but the evidence speaks for itself.
That's speculation, not evidence. You're mixing terms up here.

Testing is done before things go online, rest assured. You're free to disbelieve it and root for that weird conspiracy theories a few seem to enjoy spreading, which deals with evil empire structures and the company doing stuff because....yeah, what for, actually? Money? Frustrating players? Frustrating players so the company gets more money? Read it all. Does not make much sense to me. (Granted, the 'money' theory is actually true. The company really does stuff for money. "Not testing" isn't part of said stuff, though. That doesn't generate any money. "Testing" does.) Just keep in mind that actively sabotaging the trust between the game company and it's players by spreading rumors and speculative accusations for no real reason but venting some frustration is not just harming the company. It harms everyone, in the end. Including yourself.

Quoted

You're assuming that every other gaming company in the industry is also not doing any sort of testing then, I guess.

Quoted

I certainly do not mean to be disrespectful capt apex, but GAS has a penchant for not fully testing updates.
I have no reason to assume you want to be disrespectful, Kinji, no worries. However, please let me point something out to you that is confusing me:

You have been gone for some time, as that is what I have been able to gather from the posts you have been doing in this forum over the last days. (Welcome back, by the way. :) ) Your example above is apparantly from that time period, a time when I haven't been working here. (Which is why I can't say anything about the situation you describe, either way.) And because of experiences with the company you had years (!) ago, you're assuming that it is now how it may have or may haven't been then and asks the company to change. Why don't you just wait and see what has changed and what hasn't, by yourself? "Testing" the structures you have returned to, before just assuming everything is how you remember it, so to say.

Regards,

CApeX

NOt gonna be bothered to split this out, but if as you say testing was indeed being done, why did the same error happen twice. That is evidence, not speculation of someone not testing something that most certainly should have been tested seeing as people lost stats, levels and even deleted because of G@S stance on the mistake they made.
You may test, but you don't do it sufficiently (and not you specifically) period, time and time again updates are done with glaring errors in them, and sometimes the same errors again, and with any sort of testing "plan" these would not happen.

OK, moving on now...

Forge

SB Moderator / Forum Mod

Saturday, April 6th 2013, 9:54pm

Bypassing most of the thread, since I don't care to wade in this material, but I'd like to point out that both Louise and Demon Stabber told me rather explicitly on more than one occasion each that there were no testing servers, and no testing with live data had been done since approximately the HW 2.0 update.

If that has changed now, hurrah! However, assuming that we know about some testing mechanisms which have never been made public is foolish, and the only information I'd ever been given was that there was no testing, so prior to this thread I would have agreed with Kinji's post.

I would make another plea for more transparency and feedback, but I have a personal limit on such entreaties, and I know it's not something you can directly implement, CApex.
W1EN - Forge - tc
W2EN - Forge - tc
W7EN - Forge - WBS
W2PL - Forge - WBS

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Monday, April 8th 2013, 5:59pm

Quoted

Also did you create a thread on this, ie split the posts? I never created a separate thread
Yessir.
I'd like to point out that both Louise and Demon Stabber told me rather explicitly on more than one occasion each that there were no testing servers, and no testing with live data had been done since approximately the HW 2.0 update.
One of them (Lousie) I never met in my life. The other one left the company a few months after I started to work here - which was over two years ago.

I won't speculate about what they told you and why they did so. All I can tell you is that I have had my fair share of test runs, and that the quality testing crowd is alive and kicking.

Regards,

CApeX

Forge

SB Moderator / Forum Mod

Monday, April 8th 2013, 9:53pm

Quoted

Yessir.
I'd like to point out that both Louise and Demon Stabber told me rather explicitly on more than one occasion each that there were no testing servers, and no testing with live data had been done since approximately the HW 2.0 update.
One of them (Lousie) I never met in my life. The other one left the company a few months after I started to work here - which was over two years ago.

I won't speculate about what they told you and why they did so. All I can tell you is that I have had my fair share of test runs, and that the quality testing crowd is alive and kicking.

Regards,

CApeX

What was shared or not wasn't my point. My point was that it's not safe to assume what we may have been told or not told.
W1EN - Forge - tc
W2EN - Forge - tc
W7EN - Forge - WBS
W2PL - Forge - WBS

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Tuesday, April 9th 2013, 11:39am

We're moving in circles here, Forge. When someone wants to believe what a former official member of the company said and decide that a current official member's words are open for speculation, then I am the least person being able to stop that. Everyone's free to believe what they want. They should just do me the favor and don't spread speculations based on things in the past while judging things in the present. (Which was my point all along.)

Regards,

CApeX

itsjustme

Professional

Saturday, April 13th 2013, 3:33pm

I certainly did "suppose" a lot when I said you don't test...and if you do, please forgive me incorrect supposition...

HOWEVER, the old saying of you can tell the type of tree by it's fruit is quite applicable and appropriate. Also the saying if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and smells like a duck 90% chance it's a duck is as well.

We have seen what certainly appears to be EITHER non-testing, or insufficient testing in the results of upgrades and patches, even since you have been here c-apex. (not blaming you, just putting a time perspective in it since that has been brought up that G@S has changed some since the time you were hired)

I think that is all the creator of this thread was saying. "We have in the recent past seen examples of incomplete, insufficient, not-well-thought-out testing and would like to see it addressed."

Call it a criticism, call it a suggestion, whatever...just please don't botch it

OK, moving on now...

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Monday, April 15th 2013, 12:28pm

Hello,

in all honesty, what the thread-starter wrote was "When I played here years ago, there was no testing. Now I hear from people that certain things still suck. Apparantly, there is still no testing, so I tell you now that you have to run test phases. And I am telling you this in big, red letters!" and that is not exactly the same as "We have in the recent past seen examples of incomplete, insufficient, not-well-thought-out testing and would like to see it addressed.", otherwise I wouldn't have reacted the way I did.

Anyway, we are running in circles here. I agree that testing needs to be done, and needs to be done with an open mind. If that is what you are going for, then we are on the same page. And I assume that's what matters.

Regards,

CApeX

itsjustme

Professional

Monday, April 15th 2013, 1:16pm

You are right as always capn...so carry on and do what you do best

OK, moving on now...

fatrobin

Intermediate

Monday, April 15th 2013, 11:35pm

meh if testing there is anything like what I have to do at my place it is a miracle you don't have more errors than you do...
Campaigner for Zombie Rights

Not a Professional cow... just consistently lazy