You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Holy-War. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, December 16th 2009, 11:44am

Great...Another Ticket Promotion

Well apparently it's that time of year where GAS feels like they need more money, yet, can't do anything significant with this game.

Just throw your money at them, making them pick up your currency is the most work they will have ever done for this game.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

Wednesday, December 16th 2009, 12:17pm

Well apparently it's that time of year where GAS feels like they need more money, yet, can't do anything significant with this game.
Right on! It's not as if they recently hired two new English admins, or gave us a major update 2 weeks ago, or continued to watch the effects of that update and tweak it since then, or really anything at all. :P
Top accounts for sale: HW1 TG1 AI1
Already sold: HW2/3/4 TG1DE

Snellembiss

Intermediate

Occupation: I stack shelves. You wouldn't believe how exciting it is

Wednesday, December 16th 2009, 12:23pm

Falco's right; we're actually seeing a significant amount of effort from GAS at the mo'
It's not perfect, of course, but can we expect perfection when so many players want such different things? Whilst we're seeing them make an effort, can't we try to give 'em a break? At least over Christmas?
Want to come to W4? No available (or affordable) characters fo you to get hold of?
Join using my recruitment link and send me a PM. When you reach level 10 i will sell you the best equipment for that level at minimum price, giving you the best possible start.
Depending on your Character Development, there may even be a minimum priced Dragon Sword for you at level 20. Offer only available to the next 4recruits at this time.
http://www.holy-war.net/?ref=19431-4ENHW

Wednesday, December 16th 2009, 12:30pm

Giving them a break or loosening up the slack would only give them a feeling of a sense of accomplishment, which would in fact put them back into hibernation

So, without further ado...

I'm still not impressed.

Also, major updates every 8 months or so is terrible :thumbsup: :thumbup: 8o

Wednesday, December 16th 2009, 12:44pm

Giving them a break or loosen up the slack would only give them a feeling of a sense of accomplishment, which would in fact put them back into hibernation

So, without further ado...

I'm still not impressed.

Also, major updates every 8 months or so is terrible :thumbsup: :thumbup: 8o
Really? What piece of software do you know of that gets major updates more often?

Blizzard is on an 18-month schedule for their major updates. Jolt is on a 12-month schedule. Most other online game companies are on 12- or 18-month schedules, except the ones like Zynga and Aftershock that never do major updates at all.

Online service companies like Facebook, YouTube, Google, and Amazon are on 12-, 18-, or 24-month schedules.

Traditional software companies, like Adobe and Apple, are even slower--Microsoft, in particular, goes 3-4 years between major updates.

Even in the open source world, where there's no profit motive, major updates don't happen every 8 months. Linux, GIMP, Mozilla/Firefox, and other major projects go 2-4 years between major updates.

Also, it's not as if software companies do nothing for that entire time and then write all the code on the last day. The reason they spend 8, 12, or 48 months on a major update is that it takes that long to design, develop, test, and debug a major batch of new features.

Tando

Unregistered

Wednesday, December 16th 2009, 1:54pm

The ticket propmotions happen around the same time every year so its not like it just happened all of a sudden you even said its that time of the year again which proves my point its a thing they have done for years....

Wednesday, December 16th 2009, 11:26pm

Large didn;t you just get battle healing in W2 last night? LOL
(now over 35 accounts deleted from level 112 - 89 - 15) want to sell for deletion? talk to me ;)

Noble

Professional

Thursday, December 17th 2009, 12:36am

Just throw your money at them, making them pick up your currency is the most work they will have ever done for this game.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:
Do you ever stop complaining?

I think it's possible LH could compete with Dradaki for number of complaints. :D
Holy War: W1 EN noble fighter [RO] (Christian), W4EN Nobility [Aloha] (Pagan), W6 EN Mr Credit Card (Christian), W8 EN Noble [BS] (Pagan)
Tagoria: W1 EN The Redeemer, W3 EN Noble
AI Wars: W1 EN Nobility

brianfoxy

Intermediate

Thursday, December 17th 2009, 2:05am

If you don't like it leave :P

I am very happy with GA$ improvements. Also one of the few companies that the US gov didn't bail out thanks to the tixxers :) lower taxes for us.

Keep up the good work tixxers!

-Day I left HW, for good!

Never looking back!!!!

Take care all.

....... DONE ......

Walking away an accomplished man ;)

Thursday, December 17th 2009, 10:04am

I am very happy with GA$ improvements. Also one of the few companies that the US gov didn't bail out thanks to the tixxers :) lower taxes for us.
Good point. But didn't Chrysler merge with a German company, Mercedes-Benz, just to get access to that tixxer money, and still need a bailout from the US government? :)

Vedauwoo

Unregistered

Thursday, December 17th 2009, 10:27am

Fiat

Italian company. However, the 100% return on the dollar of AIG insurance contracts with banks bailed out large French and German banks. Also the dollar diving has resulted in some positive results for European economies.

And to be totally correct. There is usually a ticket Promotion in the beginning of the year. The only GAS event that usually goes on in this time frame is a holiday contest for XMAS. However, with less than a week to go, I am guessing the holiday spirit isn't with GAS this year.

Mulvers

Unregistered

Thursday, December 17th 2009, 6:10pm

Do you ever stop complaining?
If you don't like it leave :P

What they said :thumbup:

Thursday, December 17th 2009, 6:25pm

The only person that i'll actually listen to in this thread is Falco, seeing as how he is the only person who is older than me game wise.

The rest of you can Jog Off :thumbsup: :thumbup: 8o

Plus, I enjoy taking pop shots at GAS, namely because I can.

If you don't like what I have to say, "you can leave" :love:

Thursday, December 17th 2009, 6:45pm

The only person that i'll actually listen to in this thread is Falco, seeing as how he is the only person who is older than me game wise.

The rest of you can Jog Off

Plus, I enjoy taking pop shots at GAS, namely because I can.

If you don't like what I have to say, "you can leave"

Oo omg your are older then us game wise? to quote you from W2

"Congradulations you win the internet"

Now try and beat people at the game maybe. might be a new thing for ya buddy
(now over 35 accounts deleted from level 112 - 89 - 15) want to sell for deletion? talk to me ;)

Mulvers

Unregistered

Thursday, December 17th 2009, 7:57pm

older than me game wise.

Does this include the days/weeks/months you've been "sat" and not actually played?

Thursday, December 17th 2009, 8:04pm

LMAO Mul

Thursday, December 17th 2009, 10:51pm

Actually there are games which update and fix stuff often
Reign of Blood has already done two updates since i've started playing 19 days ago on top of fixing every problem within 12 hours or so i must say that they are a little more efficient than GAS ^^ which is why i'm not giving GAS any more money
Blessed Be
from
Death Dancer
aka
jagosgirl

Thursday, December 17th 2009, 10:59pm

Actually there are games which update and fix stuff often
Reign of Blood has already done two updates since i've started playing 19 days ago
Well, that's exactly as many updates as HW has had in the past 19 days. :)

illyrian

Beginner

Friday, December 18th 2009, 10:05am

Online service companies like Facebook, YouTube, Google, and Amazon are on 12-, 18-, or 24-month schedules.
You gotta be kidding me. Where did you pull this from? Since i have worked in one of them, and am currently working in another one on that list... i must say this is patently untrue.

The Missing Rum

Professional

Friday, December 18th 2009, 1:17pm

so you'll listen to me as well then largehuman?
Im pretty sure ive been in the game longer than falco

I dont like the ticket promotions, never used them, never intended to, but they do happen 3 times a year and have done every year. so you could spread your annoyance over the full year with a constant thread of despair rather than just seasonal ones :D

Friday, December 18th 2009, 2:33pm

TMR you know ill listen to what you say :)

And I enjoy creating the seasonal thread

Plus it gets people involved, look how many sheep flocked to my thread and posted :thumbsup:

Saturday, December 19th 2009, 4:00am

You gotta be kidding me. Where did you pull this from? Since i have worked in one of them, and am currently working in another one on that list... i must say this is patently untrue.
I got it from the people we worked with at those 4 companies that we were partnered with.

If we gave them a new release of our software to integrate, and it required them to change they way they use it (especially if it meant their customers might have to recompile plugins), we had to wait for the next major release. In practice, that meant we gave them specs as soon as we had them, and a prerelease well in advance of our beta, so they could get it into their schedule, so we only had to wait 3-4 months.

A new release of our software that could be integrated without the need for anything other than testing and minor config changes, on the other hand, could get rolled out with a minor release, which was 6 weeks to 3 months depending on the partner. (In Google's case, they actually did almost continuous single-change patches to the live system instead of having minor releases).

SaaS and other online companies do try to cram more into minor releases than traditional software companies usually do, and the fact that they don't have to market version numbers lets them blur the lines a bit further (like Yahoo, which effectively used internal scrum releases as minor releases, and dedicated every 8th scrum cycle to revisiting the past 7 cycles' changes and looking at updates to third-party software, and called that a major release). But as far as the timing and scheduling goes, major vs. minor really isn't much different from traditional companies.

Tiberius Leodegan

Intermediate

Monday, December 21st 2009, 10:01am

Well apparently it's that time of year where GAS feels like they need more money, yet, can't do anything significant with this game

:thumbsup: ROFL!!!!
Too Many Scottsmen.......................................................Spoil d SB..

illyrian

Beginner

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 10:37am

I got it from the people we worked with at those 4 companies that we were partnered with.

If we gave them a new release of our software to integrate, and it required them to change they way they use it (especially if it meant their customers might have to recompile plugins), we had to wait for the next major release. In practice, that meant we gave them specs as soon as we had them, and a prerelease well in advance of our beta, so they could get it into their schedule, so we only had to wait 3-4 months.

A new release of our software that could be integrated without the need for anything other than testing and minor config changes, on the other hand, could get rolled out with a minor release, which was 6 weeks to 3 months depending on the partner. (In Google's case, they actually did almost continuous single-change patches to the live system instead of having minor releases).

SaaS and other online companies do try to cram more into minor releases than traditional software companies usually do, and the fact that they don't have to market version numbers lets them blur the lines a bit further (like Yahoo, which effectively used internal scrum releases as minor releases, and dedicated every 8th scrum cycle to revisiting the past 7 cycles' changes and looking at updates to third-party software, and called that a major release). But as far as the timing and scheduling goes, major vs. minor really isn't much different from traditional companies.
Let's back up for a second. First off, i have no idea what it is that your company provides that would require such a dramatic integration and refactoring that would take that long. Two possibilities come to my mind: either the change affects almost all the teams/orgs so that it has to go through their own testing schedules and such, or it is low priority in which case it is placed on a backburner and it takes long just because they have bigger fish to fry. Since I don't know I can't really comment.

However, you said that online companies are on a 12months to 24 months schedules. That effectively means that this is the time it has to elapse before the customer sees some noticeable change. That is untrue. Well, to some extent because we need to define what sort of push to production code classifies as a release. But with Google for example, i do know that the backend for both the search and the ads is updated continuously (2-3 weeks). For Amazon that is even more frequent. True, that does not mean that the layout of the website changes dramatically (and there shouldnt be any reason for that to change) but let's be real, do you seriously think that big companies like those let more than a year pass without adding/modifying backend functionality or front end code? Or by release you meant something else altogether?

Now, comparing big online companies to GaS is not a fair comparison, of course. However, i can guarantee you that each team in any of those companies pushes something new way more frequenly than GaS updates HW. Given that the server code for holy war is very very simple, i don't see why it would be burdensome to add more to it more frequently.

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 4:43pm

Waiting in anticipation for Falco's response

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 5:15pm

However, you said that online companies are on a 12months to 24 months schedules. That effectively means that this is the time it has to elapse before the customer sees some noticeable change. That is untrue. Well, to some extent because we need to define what sort of push to production code classifies as a release. But with Google for example, i do know that the backend for both the search and the ads is updated continuously (2-3 weeks). For Amazon that is even more frequent. True, that does not mean that the layout of the website changes dramatically (and there shouldnt be any reason for that to change) but let's be real, do you seriously think that big companies like those let more than a year pass without adding/modifying backend functionality or front end code? Or by release you meant something else altogether?
Stop reading selectively and looking for things to argue about, and read the actual posts instead.

The original complaint was that HW only has _major_ updates around every 12 months, and _minor_ updates every 3-6 weeks. My point was that most online software companies are about the same.

Obviously minor updates involve adding or modifying backend functionality or front-end code. How else would it even be an update? So do single-patch changes. What else would you be patching?

So, tell me what you're actually arguing with. I say that generally major updates take 12-24 months, and minor updates take 3-6 weeks, and Google often rolls single-patch changes more frequently than that. You quote that, then disagree, insisting that Google often rolls changes every 2-3 weeks. Where's the disagreement?

It's like you're trying to start a heated argument over whether the sky is blue or blue.

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 5:21pm

The Sky is Blue blue not blue!

Snellembiss

Intermediate

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 6:08pm

it's sky blue :P
Want to come to W4? No available (or affordable) characters fo you to get hold of?
Join using my recruitment link and send me a PM. When you reach level 10 i will sell you the best equipment for that level at minimum price, giving you the best possible start.
Depending on your Character Development, there may even be a minimum priced Dragon Sword for you at level 20. Offer only available to the next 4recruits at this time.

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 7:08pm

it's sky blue :P
Just like flesh is flesh-colored. (And so are peaches.)

Snellembiss

Intermediate

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 11:34pm

Don't be silly! Peaches are peach coloured! :P

Thursday, December 24th 2009, 1:36am

Don't be silly! Peaches are peach coloured! :P
I remember being very confused as a kid, because my coloring books, my teachers, and my parents talked about "flesh" as a Crayola color, but I couldn't find it anywhere--even my rich friend, who had the deluxe bucket of all 130 colors, was missing that one. It turns out they'd quietly renamed it "peach" 5 or 10 years before I was born.

Snellembiss

Intermediate

Thursday, December 24th 2009, 7:53am

*chuckle* i always used the crayola peach colour for flesh... whenever my peers would ask what colour skin was, i'd say "peach!" lol... ah... those simple days...

Then, one day, some evil, no good, child-hating teacher said 'Don't be silly! Peaches are peach coloured!' And it's obviously stuck with me, and i'm becoing similar to something that i hated, all those years ago...

It's almost as bad as if i turned into my father *shudder*

Thursday, December 24th 2009, 9:03am

You know, "flesh" was always an odd name for the color anyway. In almost every context, "flesh" means muscle, fat, connective tissue, and the deeper layers of the skin--the stuff you eat when you eat cow-flesh, or injure when you get flesh wound. Flesh is pretty much the same color in all people and animals--blood red, nowhere near "flesh color."

Only when you talk about "flesh color" does "flesh" refer to the surface of the skin.

And whose skin exactly? Nobody has peach-colored skin, and especially not Nordic/Germanic/Anglo-Saxon white honkies, who are stereotypically much less yellowish than peaches, and a little lighter. A patch of color is worth a thousand words:

"flesh color" (HTML #FFC090): ████████████████
pinker color (HTML #FFB5A5): ████████████████

Quoted from "Same, on a white background"

"flesh color" (HTML #FFC090): ████████████████
pinker color (HTML #FFB5A5): ████████████████

Anyway, I always colored people in with aqua, because familiar shapes in inverse colors always look cool (and this was before I'd ever seen the green-skinned girl on Star Trek), and because it drove my sister crazy.

Snellembiss

Intermediate

Thursday, December 24th 2009, 9:32am

lol fair enough, i suppose... that 'flesh' does look kind've peachy, though...

Tiberius Leodegan

Intermediate

Thursday, December 24th 2009, 9:40am

dats nt flesh or peach......................dats red.. :huh:
Too Many Scottsmen.......................................................Spoil d SB..